Understanding DMA/NoDMA options and fixes

John Best jbest at insightbb.com
Tue Jul 19 02:02:52 UTC 2005

All,

I think I asked this before , but I am still not satisfied with the
answer...

I have had to boot with the nodma option since FC3...   I have not had
issues doing this, but I wonder if I am getting the performance I should
by disabling the dma option (I have seen posts that have pointed that
nodma can reduce linux performance on some machines).   The question
that I have not resolved is what can I do about it?????

Are there jumpers on the IDE devices that should be looked
at/investigated?   If I hooked up devices using Cable Select vs
physically jumpering devices to primary/secondary will it make any
difference?   Can I tell which device or devices are responsible for the
DMA issues?  Can I tell when buying or looking at a device whether it
supports the proper dma standards?  Can I go to a web site or other
location to check for compatible dma devices?

Sorry about the interrogation... thanks...

John Best
jbest at insightbb.com
Yahoo Msgr: JohnJBest