Core 4 installation on an old Gateway

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 04:32:35 UTC 2005

On 7/18/05, H Q <ecomeasurement at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Here's the lastest --I tried burning the ISO images at 4X on the newer Dell,
> and then tried to boot on the old Gateway (G6-266).  The CD-ROM (1st in the
> boot queue) tried valiantly at least three times to read the CD (I could
> hear the sweeps and the read light was on) but alas, it didn't happen.
>
> One thing I could try is using different burner software that physically
> makes the CD "bootable", but two things concern me:
>
> 1) The 1st fedora ISO image should boot by itself, as it does on my newer
> machine, and
> 2) The "bootable disk" option does not seem to correspond to true ISO
> format, rather more Joliet or Windows type, and so may not help...
>
> H.

Please do not place your response at the top of the reply. That's
called top posting and is frond upon.

Do not try to make a "bootable disk".  It will only create a coaster.

It would appear that the drive on your old Gateway cannot read the
discs burned on your other machine.  If you have access to another
burner you can try creating another FC4-disc-1. If that disc boots
then you can burn the other discs on that machine.

An alternative is for you to switch out the CD-ROM drive from your
Gateway with the drive from your newer machine, perform the install,
and then switch the drives back.

You might consider purchasing a new drive.  A new 16x DVD-ROM drive
costs less than $20US, a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive $35US, 16x DVD
dual-layer RW $60US.