FC3 kernel lockup with USB KVM and audio player

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 06:03:39 UTC 2005

I had an occurance of an FC3 system apparently locking up
when a USB KVM was switched back (via keyboard hotkey
sequence) so that the FC3 system was the currently selected one.

At the time I had the ogg audio player running, and when the
KVM switch occured the sound got stuck in an infinite looping pattern,
about 3 repeats per second.  The system was otherwise dead..black
screen, no network response, no alt-hotkeys responsed.  I suspect
a kernel lockup, but have no real proof.

I mentioned the audo player as a possible point of conflict, because
I've never had problems without it running.  Also I noticed on a
few of the KVM switches the audio would stutter.  The system was
otherwise idle except the audio player, and the audio typically
never stutters on this system.

I have a USB keyboard and a USB mouse (not PS/2) which the
KVM switches along with the audio.  It is an IOGear 2-port mini USB.
The system is a single CPU Athlon 800 MHz, running FC3, all updates,
with kernel 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3.

Does anybody have any idea what may have caused this, or
what I might do to be prepared if it happens again so I can
help diagnose it?
--
Deron Meranda