Problem with Java plugin and FC4

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 19 11:21:50 UTC 2005

Eric Tanguy wrote:
> Le mardi 19 juillet 2005 à 10:58 +0100, Paul Howarth a écrit :
>
>>stan mcintosh wrote:
>>
>>>This past weekend, I spent an inordinate amount of time reinstalling and
>>>reconfiguring FC4 after I lost internet and e-mail only to find out that
>>>the problem was that my router had a siezure.  Next time, I'll check the
>>>simple stuff first.  The first time I installed FC4, I followed the FC4
>>>installation notes on Stanton Finley's page, and all went well.  This
>>>time, I am having trouble with the browser Java plugin.  I'm betting
>>>that I messed something up in the symbolic link line:
>>>
>>>ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>>>/usr/lib/*****/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>>>

>>>Where I have used 'mozilla,' 'firefox,' and 'firefox-1.0.4' in place of
>>>the '*****.'
>>>
>>>Anyone know what I need to check next?
>>
>>A better (i.e. RPM-based) method of installing Java (including plugin
>>details) can be found at:
>>
>>http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4
>>
>>Paul.
>>

> The problem is "If you've installed java-1.5.0-sun-plugin and you want
> to use it with firefox, you'll need to set up the link manually as there
> is a small bug in the java-1.5.0-sun-plugin package that causes it not
> to set up the link properly for the FC4 firefox package." and it's still
> not solved!

The referenced article does tell you how to work around that though.

The impression I got on the JPackage list was that they're just going to
put the link under /usr/lib/mozilla in future versions, where it should
work for a wide variety of browsers. No more messing about with numbered
versions.

Paul.