Palm sync USB trouble FC3

After the recent update to kernel 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3, I am having
trouble with Palm syncing via USB.  In /etc/udev/devices, I have
ttyUSB4 and ttyUSB5 defined (0-3 are in use by other gadgets).   After
a fresh boot, I can get ONE good sync using ttyUSB5 with my Treo 650.
Then, the Treo disconnects and the ttyUSB devices go away, as normal.
 The next time I try to sync, however, the devices are created, but
the sync fails with a jpilot message "pi_accept Invalid argument --
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_PI_ACCEPT".

All this worked fine under the previous kernel, to which I may return!

I've tried removing the udev entries with no joy.  Any ideas about this?

TIA
--
martin ewing gmail com
http://blog.aa6e.net