OpenOffice and MS Office - a question about cohabitation

Andy Oram andyo at oreilly.com
Tue Jul 19 22:47:12 UTC 2005

I have used OOo and Word interchangeably on several
projects, and it appears to me that the Change
Tracking/Record Changes features are completely
interoperable. What I do in one tool shows up as expected in
the other. I haven't done exhaustive testing, just
day-to-day use.

By the way, the Comments/Notes features are also
compatible. An OOo Note shows up as a Word Comment and vice
versa. The only oddity (which I think is an OOo flaw) is
that you can't highlight text with an OOo note. It's just a
sliver between two characters of text.

I've used OOo Writer 1.1.1, 1.1.2, and 1.1.3 this way. I
don't know what version of Word I've used (with CrossOver
Office). And I've tried these features mostly in Writer, not
the other modules.

Andy