addon applications with Fedora 4 - success and failure

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jul 20 08:47:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 11:44 -0400, RLLOYDNAVE123 at wmconnect.com wrote:
> I am searching for open source multimedia and 3-graphic tools and
> software development tools that will run with Fedora 4 linux.
>
> I have been seeing some apparent problems with applications that ran
> with older versions of Fedora that will no longer run with Fedora 4.
> The problem may be associated with using GCC 4.0 , although I am not
> sure.
>
> In any case here is a list of free applications that I have tried to
> install so far.

> Failures -
>  Blender 3-D editor - compiles but does not seem to work properly.
blender-2.37 is in Fedora Extras.

>  Open Scene graph Editor  - will not compile under GCC 4.0
>  Virtual Terrain Builder  - will not compile under GCC 4.0

"will not compile" in most cases indicates bugs in the original source
code. Reporting your problems upstream to the authors of these packages
and letting them fix their bugs would be the approach of choice.

>   Timidity - Midi player - compiles but will not play midi files ,
>                  does not create timidity.cfg file.
>                  It appears that "sound fonts" are missing.
Are you referring to the package called timidity++ in Fedora Core?

>  Has any one had success with any of the applications listed above??

>    I have had extensive difficulties with missing dependency
> libraries ,
>    and incompatible versions that generate undefined linker and run
> time
>    symbols. Overall there seems to be a lot of incompatibilities with
>    source packages that were built for versions of linux other than
> Fedora 4.
Not unlikely. The packages you list aren't necessarily famous for their
source code quality.

Ralf