Extend Software RAID

Yanick Quirion YQuirion at tranzyme.com
Thu Jul 21 02:10:47 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have a software RAID-5 on FC3 box using three disks and utility mdadm.
I want to add another disk and extend my partition (ext3) without having
to backup, re-create RAID and restore data. I want to do it online if
it's possible, but I'm able to unmount the partition if it's necessary.
At this time, I do not have LVM partition on top of my RAID. Do I need
to create LVM partition to be able to extend the partition?

So I'm looking for a working receipt to make this done.

Anyone have an idea?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Yanick