FC4 sound card correctly detected, but no sound

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Thu Jul 21 12:14:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 09:58 -0700, Shantanu Shah wrote:
> I had a similar problem on FC4 Dell Inspiron 700m. I
> solved it by using the following method. Let me know
> if it works for you.
>
> # To enable sound from your laptop, run #alsamixer.
> # Scroll to the rightmost colum using the right arrow
> and hit m. (i.e. turn it on)
> # Exit the program by pressing Esc. Sound should now
> be working.
>
> http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~scs49/install_linux.html
> [See section 'Sound']

Shan,

BINGO! This fixed the problem on my IBM ThinkPad A22p (a clean install
following a failed upgrade attempt). Thanks for sharing this solution.

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 4 kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
            ** Bob Costas for Baseball Commissioner **