apt-get and yum stalling

Lokrin redhat at lokrin.net
Thu Jul 21 17:55:05 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Do, den 21.07.2005 schrieb Lokrin um 16:49:
>

>>The main sympton, other than just stalling/freezing is the error message:
>>
>>Can not get shared lock on var/lib/rpm/Packages
>>
>>How do I clear this error?
>>

>You need to be root to install packages. And no other rpm operation has
>to lock the rpm_db at that time (i.e. 2 competing yum runs).
>
>Alexander

I am trying to run as root.  This problem just came up this past week.
It also affects synaptic and the Red Hat Upgraade Agent.  Basically they
start but freeze also.  As far as I know everything is stopped,

Ok, PS showed me 4 vesions of YUM, 4 versions of APT-GET and 1 version
of RPM running.  KILL pid didn't work, but KILL -9 pid did.  Now to see
if things work...

Ok, RH update agent starts but freezes when it is building a list of
updated rpm packages.

Synaptic starts with the basic screen in the background and an hourglass
rotating and stays there.

Well, after rebooting (and the above) things are now working.  Thanks