Tutorial

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 21 21:18:34 UTC 2005

Thomas w. Cranston wrote:
> Phil Schaffner wrote:

[snip]

> Considering that I am new at the command line, how do I, or can I access
> the web site tutorial from there? I suspect that I can not. If I can,
> please give explicit instructions. I am making a good faith effort to
> learn the comand line, and would appreciate the extra help.

IMO, this is not the best way to learn the command line I/F. It's
not the way I use it, and I do nearly everything command-line.

If you are using GNOME, then on your Desktop right-click, and
select "Open Terminal". You'll get window with a command-line
interface in it.

I hear that this method is going away. If you prefer, you can
start one another way.

Left-click on the hat in the lower-left corner, and select
Run Application...

When the dialogue box pops up, enter this

xterm -geometry 80x25 -fg black -bg antiquewhite

You may omit the foreground and background colors, those
are just the ones I happen to prefer.

You'll get a window with a CLI. Put your mouse inside the window,
and use CONTROL-RIGHT_CLICK and select whatever font size
you like. CONTROL-LEFT_CLICK brings up another menu you can
use.

In the meantime, there's no need to give up window management
just because you are using a CLI.

Mike