Tutorial

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 21 23:30:57 UTC 2005

From: "Thomas w. Cranston" <cranston_tom at asapchoice.com>

> jdow wrote:
>
> >From: "Thomas w. Cranston" <cranston_tom at asapchoice.com>
> >

> >>Alt-Fi did not work.
> >>

> >Of course not. Control-Alt-F1 - press control and alt then F1 at the
> >same time.
> >

> >>I am looking for a tutorial about the Linux Command line, that works
> >>with FC3
> >>

> >Look for the O'Rielly BASH book. In general the O'Rielly books are the
> >best resources if you want something printed. Although they might be a
> >little out of date due to printing lags.
> >
> >{^_^}
> >

> That is what I did. I pressed control and alt then F1 at the same time.
> The screen instantly went black, and the computer was shut down
> instantly, as if the powercord had been pulled out.

My initial conclusion is "You've been hacked, Kemo Sabe." But if not
then there may be an issue with your X-Windows that Mike Harris might
need to know about. If you're installation is intact then you might
have a variant of the bug that left me with the virtual consoles all
black with a boarder (green? yellow? forget which) around it. But it
did not go powered off by any means. It was still running and the
alt-F7 incantation brought me back to X-Windows.

Bring up a terminal session from X-Windows, either via the System Tools
menu or the "run" command someone else suggested. Then take a look at
your inittab file, "less /etc/inittab". There will be a line in there
which says "ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now". But that gives
a normal shutdown. Look for anything else (other than the two powerfail
lines) that includes "shutdown". A change there might indicate a hack
has succeeded and the tweeb is merely maliciously destructive rather
than using your mahcine for nefarious purposes.

The behaviour you see or think you see is surely abnormal. So the task
now is to narrow in on what is broken.

{^_^}