Does Eclipse 3.1 on FC4 include WTP and/or WST?

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Fri Jul 22 13:05:56 UTC 2005

* Klaasjan Brand <klaasjan at gmail.com> [2005-07-22 04:22]:

> > Does anyone know if they are included with FC4's Eclipse 3.1 package
> > (I'm assuming that it's out on updates-released)? If they are, I'd be
> > very interested to hear from anyone who has tried them out.

Our 3.1 packages are not out as an FC4 update yet because we've been
waiting for the gcc 4.0.1 update to be released.  Also, we don't "include"
things with our Eclipse packages - we have _packages_ of stuff.  So what
people traditionally think of as "Eclipse" is what upstream refers to as
"the Eclipse SDK".  We package that as our "main" Eclipse SRPM and break it
down into smaller chunks:  eclipse-ecj, libswt3-gtk2, eclipse-rcp,
eclipse-platform, eclipse-jdt, eclipse-pde, and some -devel copies of
those.  A few people have talked about submitting the WTP to Fedora Extras
and I can see that happening sometime soon.  If anyone's interested in
helping with this, contact me or check out fedora-devel-java-list or
#fedora-java on Freenode.

> It's not included (yet). I don't know if the native Eclipse bundled
> with Fedora needs specially packaged plug-ins, but in "normal" Eclipse

It does not.

> you can just unzip the plugin in the plugin directory.

This is not how you should install things with our packages because that
would require altering /usr/share/eclipse (our base Eclipse directory) as
root and the resulting files would not be managed by RPM.  The recommended
way of installing plugins is to do so as a regular user and use the Eclipse
Software Updates -> Find and Install procedure.

> You don't need to upgrade to use Eclipse. You can just install the
> package from eclipse.org, the Sun JRE from java.sun.com and it will
> work on FC3. (I started using Eclipse on Red Hat 7.3!)

Indeed, you can do so.  Also, you can install our packages, install a
proprietary JVM/JDK as an RPM, and use the alternatives system to switch
between them (java and javac are the two main alternatives you'll need to
switch).  Another way of doing things is to just download, say, Sun's stuff
as a .tar.gz (or zip?  I can't remember how they distribute it), expand it
somewhere, and run eclipse (from our packages) with the -vm option (ie.
eclipse -vm /home/me/sun/j2blah/bin/java).

> If you just want to use Eclipse it's the recommended way since it runs
> a lot faster with Sun Java than on gcj. But it would be great if you'd
> like to test Eclipse/gcj.

I appreciate the shout-outs for testing however, I don't really know if
I would say using Sun's stuff is the "recommended" way :) .  Well there are
some bugs in libgcj for sure, it's come a long way and the speed is not
that much worse.  Plus, this is gcc 4.0.x which contains the first release
of gcj's new Binary Compatible ABI.  This release was more concerned with
correctness than speed optimizations.  I assure you that things will only
get better from here :)

Thanks,

Andrew