ssh X11 port fwd-ing breakage in FC3?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jul 23 02:26:13 UTC 2005

After upgrading from FC2 to FC3, ssh X11 port forwarding appears to
misbehave.  I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems:

• Some X11 apps just begin barfing up volumes of crap like "Gdk-ERROR **:
BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)/serial 4360 error_code 3 request_code
38 minor_code 0/Gdk-ERROR **: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource
denied)/serial 4361 error_code 10 request_code 102 minor_code 0" at the
console, and immediately crash.  Emacs starts up, but crashes as soon as I
press left mouse button and begin dragging, to highlight a text block. ddd
shows its splash screen, opens the main window, and immediately throws up a
dialog: "DDD: Oops, X Error: invalid Window parameter" at which point the
only thing I can do is kill it.

• After some period of time, even applications that still manage to work,
more or less, stop working:

$ emacs
Xlib: connection to "localhost:11.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
emacs: Cannot connect to X server localhost:11.0.
Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
connections from your machine.
$

If I log out, then ssh back in, emacs runs again (but still crashes if I try
to highlight a text block).

This only started happening after I upgraded to FC3.  In FC2 port forwarding
worked without any problems.