Does Eclipse 3.1 on FC4 include WTP and/or WST?

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 09:58:46 UTC 2005

On 7/22/05, Andrew Overholt <overholt at redhat.com> wrote:
> those.  A few people have talked about submitting the WTP to Fedora Extras
> and I can see that happening sometime soon.  If anyone's interested in
> helping with this, contact me or check out fedora-devel-java-list or
> #fedora-java on Freenode.

I'll have a look when WTP 0.7 (the official 3.1 supporting version) is
release next week.
How's the FC4 update to Eclipse 3.1 coming along?

> switch).  Another way of doing things is to just download, say, Sun's stuff
> as a .tar.gz (or zip?  I can't remember how they distribute it), expand it
> somewhere, and run eclipse (from our packages) with the -vm option (ie.
> eclipse -vm /home/me/sun/j2blah/bin/java).

That's great. I had no idea you packaged it up so flexible ;)
Does that mean there are no "hacks" in the Eclipse packages to make it
run on gcj? (there are a lot of patches in de Eclipse SRPM)

> > If you just want to use Eclipse it's the recommended way since it runs
> > a lot faster with Sun Java than on gcj. But it would be great if you'd
> > like to test Eclipse/gcj.
> I appreciate the shout-outs for testing however, I don't really know if
> I would say using Sun's stuff is the "recommended" way :) .  Well there are

Well, the Eclipse guys say so:
http://eclipse.org/eclipse/faq/eclipse-faq.html#users_3
Maybe you could try to get them to mention gcj as a runtime alternative?

> some bugs in libgcj for sure, it's come a long way and the speed is not
> that much worse.  Plus, this is gcc 4.0.x which contains the first release
> of gcj's new Binary Compatible ABI.  This release was more concerned with
> correctness than speed optimizations.  I assure you that things will only
> get better from here :)

I understand it's slower and it will get better, but for users not
interested in testing the gcj based version it's hard to justify not
running it on a JVM that runs about twice as fast.
(based on my totally unscientific measurements of clocking startup time)
But thanks for the assurance ;) - I'm really impressed with the FC4
Java stack and hoping to see gcj becoming a good alternative to the
Sun JDK.

Klaasjan