Catharsis - slowly my FC4 world crumbles around me

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat Jul 23 15:26:46 UTC 2005

On Friday 22 July 2005 5:05 am, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> I'm in one of those moments when asking more questions is making me more
> confused. Help!

You're in the learning curve. Slowly, you'll get your questions answered. I've
been on Linux for about a year now. It's my only home machine, and I run two
machines at work, which are parked right on the net, firewalling themselves,
and being used in daily production. During this year, I've tried about 12
distros. They all have their plus and minus points, their strengths and
weaknesses. I've found Fedora to be a little harder than some on the curve,
but because of its cutting edge nature, also the most easily customizable.
This list is by far the best resource I've joined so far for getting help for
any distro - I haven't tried all the lists, but I've tried many. That being
said, I'm currently in process of converting a bunch of associates over to
Linux - these are individuals in the non-profit world, people who don't have
the money to maintain expensive Windows systems, and I'm beginning to win
converts. These folks are researchers and writers, NOT technical, luddites
when it comes to technical issues. For them, I'm installing Mepis - you may
want to check it out in your quest. Mepis is known for 'just working' out of
the box - they lag several cycles behind the cutting edge, and only update
when things really work, though it's easy to go beyond that on a Mepis box.
Mepis is a Debian derivative. They have a reputation for incorporating a lot
of drivers for a very wide assortment of hardware so they do well in
self-configuration. You can download a live cd and play with it before you
commit. Just a thought...

All this discussion about other distros on this list does seem a bit funny,
tho....

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA