Last Attempt at fixing DVD drives before abandoning Fedora Core

Dave Gutteridge dave at tokyocomedy.com
Sun Jul 24 00:49:48 UTC 2005

>What happens if you boot with the ide=nodma argument to the kernel?

I did this and then tested all my drives, and there is absolutely no change.

>The output of lspci might help people understand the hardware specifics
>that your computer has.

[root at localhost ~]# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino) Chipset Host
Bridge (MCH) (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82820 820 (Camino) Chipset AGP
Bridge (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801AA IDE (rev 02)
00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA USB (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801AA SMBus (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2
Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)
02:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)
02:08.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port
(rev 07)
02:0c.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
(rev 78)

>This sounds more like a hardware settings issue.

Even though I can read CD-ROMs pefectly well, and even write to DVDs?
The only issue is reading DVDs. It seems to me that if it were a
hardware issue, then reading any media or format would be universally
bad. If that's not the case, I would be keen to know the mechanics of why.

>Do you have the jumpers
>on the DVD drive set appropriately for master and slave operation?

I dual boot to WinXP where the drives work perfectly. And have done so
under XP for years. So I am skeptical that it is a hardware settings
issue. If Linux handles such issues differently than WinXP, then I would
be willing to start making adjustments directly on the physical
hardware. But I would have to be told why and how first, as I would
think that under normal circumstances Windows and Linux shouldn't need
different CMOS or jumper settings for the same hardware.

>Where are you getting Xine from?

I followed the instructions on this page:
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html

>Try searching for mdma2 and see what you come up with.

Search in what sense? What command is the most appropriate to type at
the prompt? I am new to Fedora/Linux, so please be explicit.

>I found the link
>below that may show an earlier RH related thread you can sift through.

What link is that? I did not see one anywhere following this statement.

Dave