Cannot boot from CDROM

Burnie West west at ieee.org
Sun Jul 24 23:00:39 UTC 2005

Hi - I installed FC4 a month ago or so (from ISO's downloaded to a USB
drive).  Worked fine.

Today my internet connection died - a possible hardware failure.

But to be sure, I attempted to boot with a KNOPPIX CD and found I cannot
boot from my CDROM.
The boot process goes directly to the FC4.  I poked around trying to
understand and found
(1) /boot/grub/device.map has two entries -- fd0 followed by hda (says it
was generated by anaconda)
(2) /boot/grub/grub.conf lists FC4, FC4-install, and DOS (which was by the
way long ago corrupted and is now useless)
(3) BIOS lists three boot devices in order CDROM, FLOPPY, and HDD-0

I have a DVD drive and a CR-RW drive internal.

I tried rearranging the BIOS order and ID's but am unsure of the relation
between available choices and the drives I have.
I tried also including CDROM, using this revised file
	(cdrom) /dev/hdc
	(fd0)   /dev/fd0
	(hda)	/dev/hda
and tried also with the first entry changed to (hdc)     /dev/hdc

Always boots directly to FC4.

Suggestions?  Thanks much.