Last Attempt at fixing DVD drives before abandoning Fedora Core

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jul 25 01:43:54 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:

> [...]
<snipped>

>I have seen several instances where jumpering the drive to master/slave
>and using it on a cable-select cable caused problems.  Since most (if
>not all) of the newer cables are cable-select I have jumpered all my
>drives (my own as well as those i build for sale) to CS and have had no
>problems.  It is possible he is seeing this symptom.
>
>However, I also have problems with reading data DVDs on my drive.  Never
>a problem with a movie DVD but just the data ones.

I never used the CS feature. It probably does work in most cases. It
would make it easier to switch the cable rather than dig for the jumpers
if you wanted to switch which one is going to be primary. some BIOS
settings let you choose whether you want to boot from the primary or
secondary, as mine does.
I have tried hard drives out where it wanted to use CS instead of
allowing the device to work as master or as slave device. This was
problems encountered at the BIOS level.

Regarding USB dvd burners, I bought one for work which can write +-RW
and double-layered discs. I could not burn on the USB burner but could
read data fine with the dvdburner. I could unmount the dvd and a burn
window would launch when I inserted blank media. It did fail when I
tried to eject the media from the right-click menu and it failed. I
could push the eject button and it ejected fine, no paperclip needed.

The usb device took over becoming the /dev/cdrecorder while the builtin
device became cdrecorder1.

Jul 24 19:04:03 cornette-lt fstab-sync[2447]: added mount point
/media/cdrecorder for /dev/scd0
Jul 24 19:04:04 cornette-lt fstab-sync[2451]: added mount point
/media/cdrecorder1 for /dev/hdc
Jul 24 19:58:36 cornette-lt fstab-sync[2960]: added mount point
/media/cdrecorder for /dev/scd0
Jul 24 19:58:36 cornette-lt fstab-sync[2964]: added mount point
/media/cdrecorder1 for /dev/hdc
Jul 24 20:32:50 cornette-lt fstab-sync[2394]: added mount point
/media/cdrecorder for /dev/hdc

Jim

--
Suggest you just sit there and wait till life gets easier