totem gripes

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 25 02:05:15 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 19:16 -0500, Dale Raby wrote:
> I just upgraded from FC3 to FC4.  Xine worked fine, as did Mplayer
> under the earlier releases.  Now I have something called Totem... and
> it sucks!  Supposedly I can get it working if I install rpms from
> Freshrpms... though there are cautions about using their RPMs...
> something about compatibility issues.  Now when I try to install RPMs
> from Freshrpms, I get dependency nightmares.
>
> Is it, in fact, safe to add Freshrpms to the .yumconf file?
>
> Does anyone know why this is so complicated these days?  Is it
> lawyers?  Kill 'em all!

While killing the lawyers might also be a good start <grin>, here's what
I did to get this working:

1) Instead of Fresh RPMs (a matter of choice really - you could do this
with the Fresh RPMs repo), I set up the Livna repo
(http://rpm.livna.org)

2) Install Yum Extender from Fedora Extras (yum -y install yumex).
Again, just a matter of convenience - you could also do this with just
the command line just as easily.

3) De-install totem (yup - just delete it with something like rpm -e
totem)

4) In it's place, install totem-xine, xine, and all of the mplayer stuff
except mplayerplug-in (get this from sourceforge instead of Livna or
fresh RPMs - they only have version 2.80 available. There's a newer
version 3.01 in an FC4 RPM that won't crash mozilla). Let Yum install
whatever else it needs to support the additions.

5) Install mplayerplug-in version 3.01 (or later) from sourceforge

6) Download the latest version of the "all codecs" file from
http://mplayerhq.hu - these are all of the codecs you need to support
everything mplayer will use. Totem (the Xine version you installed) will
also use these codecs.

7) Unpack the all-codecs package to /usr/local/lib/win32 (you will have
to create this directory)

8) create a soft link to /usr/local/lib/win32 as /usr/lib/win32 (command
is ln -s /usr/local/lib/win32 /usr/lib/win32)

9) Be sure to set your MPlayer preferences for your sound card and video
needs

10) Enjoy the multimedia show!

Mozilla should now automatically launch a newer version of Totem that
will use the MPlayer codecs to play Windows Media files with no fussing
at all. You also get the benefit of tinkering around with Xine and
MPlayer if you feel up to it.

Now, that's probably not the easiest way to do things, but killing all
the lawyers isn't either... <smile> This does wind up with a working
configuration though.

Have fun!

Chris

--