Mysterious loss of sound

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jul 25 12:42:00 UTC 2005

I have a strange problem with my Sony C1VFK Picturebook;
sound is sometimes working, and sometimes not.
Eg when I booted this morning I got the usual tune
while logging in,
but when I tried to use RealPlayer just now
(with a file I had heard before)
the sound had disappeared.

I don't know if this is a software or hardware problem?
Does sound hardware ever work sporadically like this?
The sound system is Yamaha YMF-754 [DS-1E Audio Controller].
I'm using the snd_ymfpci module.

I'm running Fedora-4.
I've tried a few kernels, official and compiled,
and they all seem to show the same behaviout.

Incidentally, I am slightly puzzled by the fact that
the module is sometimes called snd_ymfpci and sometimes snd-ymfpci .
Eg with linux-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 lsmod lists snd_ymfpci
while the relevant module is
/lib/modules/2.6.12-1.1398_FC4/kernel/sound/pci/ymfpci/snd-ymfpci.ko .

Is there some mechanism for translating the "-" into "_" ?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366