What is the "official way" to install clamav?

Martín Marqués martin at bugs.unl.edu.ar
Mon Jul 25 22:26:08 UTC 2005

El Lun 25 Jul 2005 18:07, Captain Bubudiu escribió:
>  --- Martín Marqués <martin at bugs.unl.edu.ar> wrote:
> > clamd is not in extras. You can get it from dag's
> > repos.
>
> I believe  the questions i asked are self explanatory,
> and logically subsequent  (apriori in Latin) :-
>
> My question to the extras package maintainer :-

I am not the maintainer, but I use clamd.

> 1. Are we supposed to install the dag wieers packages
> on top of the extras ones?

I used to have extras clamav and clamav-db, but finished installing dag's
because the lack of clamd in extras. I prefer a daemon scanning.

> 2. Did you actually test and see that clamav is
> installable and usable?  (This question is most
> crucial)

I my case, I had to do some extra work, and what really bothers me is that I
have to do it every time I upgrade (put clamd to work with amavisd user, and
have the /var/run/clamd directory have user amavis). This is what the
packages docs say, but the don't do it automatically.

All this with dag's clamd.

> 3. What is the purpose of the clamav packages in
> extras?(This again is very important. What is the
> purpose of including a non-functional package? )

Does it really not work? When I tried it, it worked OK. Maybe you have trouble
integrating it with your MTA.

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués          |   Programador, DBA