USB DVD burners

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jul 26 02:37:30 UTC 2005

Testing out a DVD burner that is connected to a laptop which has the
following output for lsusb.
 lsusb -v|grep bcdUSB
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bcdUSB               1.10

The symlink for /dev/dvd is not created. The ownership of the DVD writer
was not set to the console owner. The device is assigned /dev/scd0.

When I tried the same unit on another computer, everything "just worked"
and burning dvds or reading dvds was easy. To be able to burn on the
laptop, I had to as root perform the below.
chown user:user /dev/scd0
and
ln /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd
Then I was able to write DVDs and to read information on the DVD.

devices
Jul 25 17:11:17 cornette-lt fstab-sync[2507]: added mount point
/media/cdrecorder for /dev/hdc - dvdreader
Jul 25 20:30:51 cornette-lt fstab-sync[25492]: added mount point
/media/cdrecorder1 for /dev/scd0 - usb-dvdwriter

jim

--
Tomorrow's computers some time next month.
		-- DEC