Uninstalling exim (when turning it off is not enough)

neidorff neidorff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 11:42:30 UTC 2005

Hi all,

A recap:  I'm running FC3.  I used qmailrocks.org to install qmail,
spamassassin, clamav and many associated packages.  I'm very happy
with the system.

I also had (turned it off) yum running on a daily basis to update my
system.  Little did I know that it would install new pacakages on its
own!  So, what happened was that yum installed exim and mail stopped.

A very nice person on this list, as I was trying to debug this mess
(and blaming the problem incorrectly on a perl update) noted that exim
was running.  I immediately stopped exim and mail is once again being
processed through qmail, spamassassin and clamav.

But, I still have a problem.  Something that exim installed is
blocking pop3 access from kmail.  (I can see my local mail using
squirrelmail or pine)  The easy solution would be to uninstall exim
(rpm -e), but when I try to do that, rpm complains that:

error: Failed dependencies:
        /usr/sbin/sendmail is needed by (installed) redhat-lsb-1.3-4.i386
        smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) mdadm-1.6.0-2.i386
        smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) mutt-1.4.1-10.i386
        smtpdaemon is needed by (installed) fetchmail-6.2.5-7.fc3.1.i386
I understand what the error is telling me.  Moving /usr/bin/sendmail
out of the way is no problem.  But smtpdaemon has me stumped.  I
looked at the list of files that exim installed (rpm -q --filesbypkg
exim) but I can't find a reference to smtpdaemon.  My question is:
what do I do to get rid of exim (the smtpdaemon part, I think) without
disrupting what I have installed?

Thanks for the help,

Mark