FC4 - Firefox Personality ?

Anthony J Placilla anthony_placilla at SUTH.COM
Tue Jul 26 16:50:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 17:30 +0100, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Hi there !
>
> Is it possible to change the personality of Firefox in FC4 so that it
> access one of those *!@$%£ sites that insist on MS IE5.5 or later ?
>
> Jonathan

Short answer.
yes
follow the instructions at:
http://www.shaftek.org/blog/archives/000223.html

Now that also begs the question, Why?
The only reason you would need IE is to load that wonderfully secure set
of components known as ActiveX.

In my experience companies that want to force me to use that generally
give me no compelling reason to access their content. It's amazing what
an email to the effect of

"To whom it may concern,
I went to your site to purchase $SHINY_THING for $BIG_NUM of dollars.
Imagine my concern when you wanted to force me to use an insecure
browser that is not standards compliant. I have chosen to purchase it
elsewhere and to also recommend to my peers that they refrain from
purchasing from your site "

Voting with your wallet is a remarkably effective tactic

--
Tony Placilla, RHCT
anthony_placilla at suth.com

J.O.A.T.

GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/C78F8B64              http://pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint = A8D5 7AFF CE88 4179 C792  D9A9 F197 2A15 C78F 8B64