Newbie problem - Ethernet card configuration

Manisha Sathe manisha_msathe at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 22:12:00 UTC 2005

--- Edward Dekkers <edward at tripled.iinet.net.au>
wrote:

> > I believe either i do not have dhcpd or not
> configured
> > properly. Pls help me.
> >
> > regards
> > Manisha
>
> dhcpd is a service which SUPPLIES dhcp services. I
> don't think you want
> this, you want to RECEIVE a dhcp address?
>
> If you do wish to set up dhcpd to supply addresses
> to your network, then
> please read the documentation. It is very simple. I
> say this because
> even I managed to read and set it up in 5 minutes,
> and I'm no guru.
>
> If you simply wish to receive an address - what is
> the problem? Your
> network card seems to be sending the request, but
> getting no reply. It
> seems your cable modem is not a DHCP server.
>
> I think you have to understand a vital thing here.
> Just because your
> cable modem receives a dynamic address from the ISP,
> it does not
> necessarily mean it acts as a dhcp server to serve
> an address to your
> network card.
>
> Most cable modems here in Australia have very
> special Windows software
> to activate them properly. What make/model is it?

Yes u r right i just need to get IP address from
server. Mine is a normal home based laptop.

Cable modem is: Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 Series,
WebStar Cable Modem. I searched for online manual and
it is written that for Ethernet connection it supports
Win95 above and Mac OS.

If i am not wrong is it to say that cable modem is
designed only for Windows and Mac?

I do not know what to do now. Any other way round? Pls
pls let me know. I really need to get the internet
connection up for my Linux. What i did is - i gave
command ipconfig on winXP and used that info for
Linux (For Static IP address) but of no use.

regards
Manisha