YUM HEADACHES; HELP

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de
Wed Jul 27 02:49:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:43:49 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Mirco Scaramucci wrote:
>
> > Everytime I run yum update this is the message/output I receive.
> > I tried to google for a solution and download from some other repo the
> > licdio but can't find it anywhere.
> > Is there something wrong with my yum.conf or is this the same problem
> > with incompatible repos.?
> >
> > --> Running transaction check
> > --> Processing Dependency: libcdio for package: gstreamer-plugins
> > --> Processing Dependency: libcdio.so.5(CDIO_5) for package:
> > gstreamer-plugins
> > --> Processing Dependency: libcdio.so.5 for package: gstreamer-plugins
> > --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libcdio.so.5 is needed by package
> > gstreamer-plugins
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libcdio is needed by package
> > gstreamer-plugins
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libcdio.so.5(CDIO_5) is needed by package
> > gstreamer-plugins
>
> If I got this error, I would add the line "exclude=gstreamer*"
> to /etc/yum.conf .
> At least that should allow "yum update" to complete.
>
> If you really want gstreamer-plugins you could deal with that separately.
>
> I would guess it _is_ due to incompatible repositories,
> but I'm no expert.

Almost true. The dependency in gstreamer-plugins on libcdio indicates
that it is not gstreamer-plugins from Fedora Core. Because libcdio is
not a core package. The current problem in Fedora Extras exists
between libcdio and libcddb. A circular dependency causes problems.
It is a known issue and is being worked on. Meanwhile, exclude libcddb
from the updates.

--
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at users.sf.net>
Fedora Core release 5 (Development) - Linux 2.6.12-1.1436_FC5