Sad state of music playing on FC4

Paul Michael Reilly pmr at pajato.com
Wed Jul 27 03:50:56 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de> writes:

 > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:20:40 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
 >
 > > prime time.  Back to xmms.  xmms handles the m3u as expected.  No
 > > problems.  But I sure like docking the xmms controls into the panel.
 > > Imagine my chagrin when I learn that FC4 and docking xmms controls are
 > > not happening (please, please tell me I'm wrong and what I missed and
 > > how to do it!).
 >
 > Can you give some details or point to a bug report with a good problem
 > description of this in bugzilla.redhat.com?

A googling came up with http://wwww.hellion.org.uk/xmms-status-plugin
as working for KDE.  I then searched (yum) for the RPM and came up
empty.  I also took note of a 2 year gap in News item entries on that
web page, along with a disclaimer from the maintainer that he doesn't
even use xmms any longer.  This is not the kind of active support I
was hoping (and expecting) to find.  My conclusion (perhaps hasty) is
that if one wants a panel applet for xmms similar to the one that
existed prior to FC4 and now exists for Rhythmbox, then one will have
to jump through hoops.  This is one of those cases where I'm really
hoping somebody steps up and tells me that I'm wrong and points me to
the kind of solution that is compelling for the Fedora maintainers to
embrace.  But since xmms has been "thrown overboard" with FC4 I'm not
holding my breath.

I'd hazard a guess that xmms2 has a chance to bring xmms back into the
boat with FC5 or FC6.  We'll see.

-pmr