dependancies

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jul 27 20:01:49 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

>> > You have to either:
>> > * wait for an updated galeon package to appear in Fedora Extras that is
>> > compatible with the updated mozilla packages (probably a day or two),
>> > or * remove galeon from your system
>>
>> Wouldn't it be easier to exclude galeon from the update
>> by adding the line "exclude=galeon*" to /etc/yum.conf ?
>
> No, that wouldn't work. He already has galeon installed, and updating
> mozilla would break the dependencies of that already-installed package,
> so yum won't do it. The exclude would only stop yum updating galeon
> itself, and the problem is that there's no update of galeon available.

I'm sure you know better than me.
But my reading of the error message above
is that yum was unable to update galeon
because it could not find the required version of mozilla.

So I would expect if you say that you do not want to update galeon
then "yum update" will go through OK.

In fact I have found that excluding packages which cause trouble
has enabled me to "yum update" on several occasions.

[One of the few weaknesses of yum
is that if there is one package it cannot update
then it will not update any.
I don't really understand why it doesn't update
those packages it can update,
and just leave a message about the packages it has failed to update.
But maybe this would just be too complicated for yum to work out?]

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366