Goodbye Fedora and hello Centos?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 27 20:47:23 UTC 2005

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 18:59 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>

>>All this stuff about Fedora being leading edge is bosh, in my opinion -
>>the Fedora developers are suffering from delusions of grandeur.
>>Fedora is just a collection of pretty standard utilities.
>>A particular device is no more or less likely to work under Fedora
>>than under any other Linux distribution.
>

> Fedora pushes the envelope - which helps expose issues.
> For example, by using gcc4 there is an exposed problem with xorg (or
> ggc4 - not sure if that has been determined)
>
> CentOS is for all practical purposes the parts of RHEL that can be
> freely redistributed.
> It is based upon an older version of Fedora for which kinks have been
> (for the most part) worked out.

Hmm. So, is then running a Fedora Core which is a few releases old
about the same as running CentOS? I deem not, but am willing to be
corrected.

I run FC2, with some updates from the Fedora Legacy project. I find
it stable on my hardware. I thought about "upgrading" to FC4, but
have watched the fallout here, and decided to wait a while. FC3 is
still a viable "upgrade", I guess.

Would CentOS be a better deal for one doing contract work at home,
and concerned about possible data loss?

[snip]

Mike