Our (US) $s at work.

Paul Hoy paul.hoy at mac.com
Sat Jul 30 02:21:55 UTC 2005

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On 7/30/05, taharka <res00vl8 at alltel.net> wrote:
>

>> Hmm.... laughing stock of the entire world but, longer lines of folks
>> breaking their necks to get into this country legally or
>> illegally ;-)
>> Coming to the very country they're laughing at :-))
>>
>> taharka
>>
>> Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.
>>

> Now why do you think that is?

Read the book entitled "Alien Nation" ISBN 0-679-43058-X & you'll get
your answer ;-)

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

Hi,

I had considered emailing a comment about this discussion earlier,
but didn't think that a Fedora list would be the appropriate forum.

I have since reconsidered.

Regarding the comment that the U.S. has the best social assistance in
the world ... well .. this is not accurate (see UN statistics to
verify this).

Second, most of the people that are lined up at the U.S. borders are
there for that one very insidious reason: the desire for a decent job
to obtain a better life for themselves and their family (okay, and
maybe the weather too). If the right were really concerned about the
employment current U.S. citizens, you'd think that they'd speak up
about corporations outsourcing, in massive numbers, to foreign
countries. Now, why do you think the right hesitates to criticize
corporations? Why do you think that is?

Finally, I found Alien Nation to be banal in its usual right-wing
alarmist pornography. It's ironic that a country that resents
immigrants because some of its citizens believe that they drain the
economy is the strongest in the world, an economy that has been built
by educated and uneducated immigrants.

And, no, I'm not anti-American. I think there's much greatness to be
found in the U.S. But, greatness is an extreme, just as America is a
country of extremes.  But,  if I could get another decent job there,
I'd be back, lining up at the border :)

Paul Hoy
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
(although I lived in LA for six years)