HP Color Laserjet 2600N; printer recommendation

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 15:11:22 UTC 2005

I have an HP Color Laserjet 2600N. In a lot of ways it's a great
printer--color, laser, cheap (~$400US), built-in networking. But, as
far as I can tell, it's not at all linux-compatible (unlike other
HP's).

If I try to print directly to it from FC3, I can't. Even when I try to
set up a local Windows computer as a server, the job gets sent to the
printer, but they just die. The printer doesn't even act like it
received anything--no errors, etc. I'm using a driver for the 2550
version of that printer (same results for both PS and HPIJS drivers),
since I can't find anything specifically for the 2600. Usually that
trick works with HP printers.

Any ideas how I can get it working? If not, can anyone recommend a
printer that is:

Color laser
cheap
networked
linux-compatible

outside of that, quality and reliability are more important than speed.

Thanks,
Matt