Music CD -- Win vs. Linux

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jun 29 08:39:08 UTC 2005

Benjamin Sher wrote:
> Ben Steeves wrote:
>
>> On 6/27/05, Benjamin Sher <delphi123 at zebra.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Dear friends:
>>>
>>> Why can Windows read a music CD but not Linux?
>>>

>> Chances are you are using Windows Media Player to play your CDs in
>> Windows.  It reads the data digitally and uses processor cycles to
>> play the audio.  You don't specify which of the myriad players you are
>> using for Linux but chances are you are using a player which is
>> accessing the disc in analog -- over the two (or sometimes three) pin
>> wire that runs from the CD-ROM to your soundcard, and plays the audio
>> directly from the CD, bypassing your CPU altogether.
>>
>> This means that you may need to adjust your mixer settings to turn up
>> the volume or unmute the CD or AUX channel (depending on how the audio
>> cable is wired to your soundcard) or you might not even have an audio
>> cord attached at all (many system builders forgo this step assuming
>> everyone will use a digital method nowadays).
>>
>> You can read the audio digitally using XMMS (I believe you need an
>> XMMS plugin for this called "cdread-plugin").
>>

> Dear friends:
>
> Everything OK. This subject is closed. By the way, I play my music CD in
> Linux on KSCD, which reads the CD "digitally" while playing it.
>
> Thank you again everybody for teaching me about audio vs. data CD's and
> CD's vs. DVD's.

That's all well and good, but I've not seen the explanation I saw some
years ago and which makes sense to me.

Windows sees the individual tracks and presents them as files though
they aren't really. Consequently, you can view a music CD in Windows as
if it's a data cd.

AFAIK nothing on Linux does that, though there's no reason not to:
cdparanoia does a fine job of ripping CDs, and as I recall one can
choose an individual track.

--

Cheers
John