web multimedia procols.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jun 1 15:20:34 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 May 2005 7:46 pm, John Mahowald wrote:
>
>>On 5/31/05, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>The link was similar to this.
>>>
>>>   mss://www.someserver.com/multimedia/thisfile.wmv
>>
>>Try opening the link in a video player like totem.
>

> That's not going to work unless she installs the Windows Media codecs. Try the
> mplayer site for more info on how to get that working

First, honest mistake, not all Robins are girls.  My wife would be in
for a shock.  :)  Of course I know a few and I still get mail
addressed to Ms. Mrs. etc.

I have the codecs installed and tried to open them in mplayer by using
the url.  It didn't want to work.  I will play with it some more.

I would like to have them open with either mplayer plugin or something
within mozilla.  I was looking for the mime type to do this as well.
It would be easier as these are part of a bigger package and the links
are provided as part of the lesson.

I may have dones something wrong as it was close to the end of the
working day.

I will give the various tools a try with the URL as I have some time
today.

I did take the time to email the providers of the packages and
complain as one of the software packages that I am trying to learn is
Linux based.

--
Robin Laing