CUPS not 'resetting' as I'd expect

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 15:52:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 11:36:58AM -0400, Matt Morgan wrote:

> Symptom/Workaround 1: when we tried to add this printer to each
> workstation,

Here's the first odd thing: why are you adding the queue definition to
every workstation, rather than just letting CUPS browsing distribute
the queue definition for you?

In system-config-printer on the server, make the queue 'shared'.  Then
it's just a case of making sure that the iptables rules on the clients
allow incoming UDP port 631 traffic.

> we thought we could just ssh over and copy in a new
> /etc/cups/printers.conf file.

This is the second odd thing -- the assumption that the entire CUPS
configuration is stored in /etc/cups/printers.conf.  It is not, by a
long way.

You can use 'printconf-tui --Xexport' to export the configuration as
XML, and 'printconf-tui --Xclear; printconf-tui --Ximport' to import
it.

Tim.
*/