innodes

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 17:13:15 UTC 2005

taso wrote:
> It is extremely unlikley that the average desktop will run out of
> inodes - see "df -i".

My desktop must be less than average: I subscribe to this and several
other lists, use Maildir format (one file per email), and keep my own
local archive. It adds up.

Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/hda9             256512   48051  208461   19% /home

That's *after* having tarred + gzipped much of the back history. I had
got over 50% full, and then wanted to make a copy as part of a migration
process (which involved creating a new $HOME).

But then, I also found out the hard way that NTFS gets pretty unhappy if
you try storing more than 65000 files in one directory. Microsoft
Exchange does this by default if you turn on some monitoring modes...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | I must refute the rumour that one of our team members
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | walks on water. Although it's true that Barry Cryer