Crazy directory thing

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jun 8 15:05:59 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:19:50PM +0200, Andy Pieters wrote:
>
>>>Andy, it sounds like an issue with symlinks.  I have come across this
>>>before.  is the ~/incomming directory a symlink?  I ask this as I have
>>>run into this issue when working from symlink directories.
>>
>> Is this normal operation or is this a bug?
>>I would definetly consider this a bug.  Will do research on this later.
>

> It's a bash thing. Look for the -P option in the bash man page.
> (Specifically, -P for cd, pwd, and set.)

I looked through the man bash and I see the issue but it doesn't fix
the problem.  If you are in a linked directory and want to cp or mv a
file using the linked paths, it just does not work.  If you set the -P
option (as I understand it) you are moved to the actual directory and
pwd would show this.  In my opinion, I would expect symlinks to act as
actual directories and the paths would follow those issues.

I now know why I am having problems with a couple of things I an
trying to do from the CLI.  The more I think about it, the more it is
a bug.  I will wait until I install FC4 to see if this is still an issue.

--
Robin Laing