nautilus can't start

kas kas11 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jun 10 02:20:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 20:56 -0300, Ben Steeves wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm having a reasonably serious problem that I can't seem to figure
> out.  There are two symtoms which I think might be related.  First of
> all -- Nautilus can't start.  It doesn't start when I log in and if I
> try to run it from a terminal it just sits there doing nothing (see
> the tail end of a 'strace nautilus' at the end of this post).
>
> The second symtom is that whenever any application tries to bring up a
> file requestor, the application freezes.  Various straces have always
> resembled the nautilus strace, which is why I think the two might be
> related.  It looks like it's locking on a futex call -- perhaps this
> is related to a threading issue?  I'm running FC3, fully updated,
> kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC3.
>
> Tail end of "strace nautilus" follows...

Ben,

Blank desktop too ... no background nor icons? If so, you might try
bonobo-slay, perhaps repeatedly, from a terminal while running gnome.  I
insist on putting things on my desktop and it seemed to make gnome
unhappy, although it may have been a reboot/save config after I had been
in gconf ... boots don't happen often here so it was hard to say what
was the cause.  Cleaning out everything in /tmp that the user owned
didn't help much here, nor did trimming things out of my session seem to
do much, but some combination of those things finally made the problem
go away ... although it may have been the phase of the moon or the fact
the I occasionally shake a Phillips screwdriver at the offending box
whilst speaking sharp words and making thinly veiled threats.  Dev help
has some info on bonobo-activation- servers that may help too.  Can't
say that google was my friend this time.

Karen