smbclient/smbmount to WinXP admin$ and c$

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Jun 10 13:36:44 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 10.06.2005 schrieb Gary Stainburn um 15:23:

> I used to back up Win9x boxes to Linux by connecting to each box using
> smbclient on \\boxname\admin$ and then smbmounting \\boxname\c$ before
> then taring the relevent directories.
>
> I've tried a number of times to do the same with Win XP boxes, but
> always get rejected - see below.  Anyone know how I can do this these
> days?
>
> [root at lcomp4 ~]# smbclient -U administrator //larc9/ADMIN$ ******

> [root at lcomp4 ~]# smbclient -U administrator //larc9/C$ ******

> Gary Stainburn

Those are by default no real shares. If you don't manually set them to
be shares they are only administrative shares. It isn't really
recommended to open up your whole system this way.

Ever considered to use a real backup tool? I think backuppc will be a
much better solution:

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/info.html

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
Serendipity 15:33:14 up 17 days, 14:10, load average: 0.19, 0.13, 0.06