What should I be looking for? DNS?

Declan Swords declan.swords at telia.com
Mon Jun 13 18:37:23 UTC 2005

Hi,
I'm trying to install a fedora fileserver. The current setup has windows XP
machines attached to a router which in turn is connected to a xDSL modem. I
have connected the fedora machine to the router. Prior to this I took the
server option when installing fedora. The router run DHCP so IP addresses
are automatically given out. When I try and ping the server from an XP
machine with the servers name I get host unknown but if I read the IP
address in the fedora machine and then ping from the XP machine it returns
the ping. The same happens when I try and ping from the fedora machine to
the XP machine.

I know I'm missing something basic. I don't know where to begin to look. Any
help greatly appreciated.
/Dec

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html