FC4 vs Debian (Mepis)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Jun 14 02:35:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 14:27 -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:
> I glady accept my nix overlords, and beg a question...
>
> Anyone wanna offer opinions of Debian(Mepis) vs FC4?
> This particular n00b tried a few linux distro's before
> picking Mepis 3.3.1. It was the only one to autodetect
> my wifi card.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses.
With a few exceptions I won't mention, every Linux distro has something
it is best at "OOB" compared to others.

What chipset is your wifi card?
Some distros include drivers that others choose not because of
questionable legal issues and/or kernel tainting. Why wifi card is
Atheros - which has a good driver (madwifi) that I think ubuntu ships,
but Fedora doesn't because (at least in part) it taints the kernel.