VOIP with a linksys PAP2

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 04:02:06 UTC 2005

On 6/14/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
> No, what he said was clear to me.  He knows both interfaces work because
> he's tried each of them in turn.  Of course, when he did that, each one was
> automatically configured by DHCP in his router, and the other one would
> have been unconfigured.
>
> For his setup to work, he needs to either run a DHCP server on the
> downstream i/f (usually his eth1) or set up that i/f with a static IP (or
> probably both so his 'phone thing gets an address).
>
> Or he could put the hub between his upstream i/f and the router, and put
> the 'phone on the hub, but he doesn't want to do that.

heh, glad I made sense to at least one person ;)

I turned everything off, plugged things in like so:

internet-->router-->wireless-->asus network adapter-->hub

hub-->PAP2-->telephone

hub-->eth0

on reboot I got messages about 100% packet loss.  I'm looking over
/var/log/messages and dmesg, can't find those error messages.  anyhow,
as I understand there's a problem with MAC address's which prevents
that setup.  (ultimately, this'd be nice, for now I'm just looking for
a phone.)

I need a DHCP router on the downstream, meaning between eth0 and eth1
to provide the masquerading?

-Thufir