case sensitive in mounted USB disk

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Tue Jun 14 14:52:12 UTC 2005

 > Thanks for info. I can make this work at command line as a root (this
is on RH 9.0)
 > mount -t vfat  -o shortname="winnt" /dev/sda1 /mnt/USB
 >
 > How to add this to fstab, the currect fstab is /dev/sda1 /mnt/USB
vfat users,noauto 0 0

 > The 2nd question is, on FC3,  hotplug automatically mounts USB disks,
where should I make such changes?

 > Thanks
 >
 > Yuandan

I researched this awhile ago and found out precisely how to change the
defaults for auto mounted filesystems in FC3 which applies to FC4 too.
The example below will make sure that all FAT32,FAT16,FAT12 auto-mounted
filesystems by hald display mixed case.  It seems that hald is
responsible for all mounting options and is VERY configurable.  I wish
someone would post a how-to for tweaking everything hald can do.
Whoever integrated hald into Fedora should get an award!

If you want to limit the mixed case to filesystems under 2 gigs that can
be done too!  It just takes another match key in the right place(I dont
remember the exact thing to put there but if you want this limited to
small filesystems I should be able it up somewhere.

Btw... I posted something similar to this for fedorasolved.com about FC3
and the sonypsp.  On that site I show how to create another .fdi file to
always mount the sony psp as /media/sonypsp... /media/sonypsp1...
/media/sonypsp2... etc.  Did I mention that hald rocks?    Now we just
need a gui to configure this stuff :).

Add the following file to /usr/share/hal/fdi/95userpolicy/ to get FAT
filesystems to display mixed case when FC3 automounts them.

---- file name fatmixedcase.fdi ----
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
   <device>
     <match key="block.is_volume" bool="true">
       <match key="volume.fsusage" string="filesystem">
         <match key="volume.fsversion" string="FAT12">
           <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.iocharset=utf8"
type="bool">false</merge>
           <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.shortname=mixed"
type="bool">true</merge>
         </match>
         <match key="volume.fsversion" string="FAT16">
           <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.iocharset=utf8"
type="bool">false</merge>
           <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.shortname=mixed"
type="bool">true</merge>
         </match>
         <match key="volume.fsversion" string="FAT32">
           <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.iocharset=utf8"
type="bool">false</merge>
           <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.shortname=mixed"
type="bool">true</merge>
         </match>
       </match>
     </match>