FC4: has procmail changed in some way?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Jun 14 19:12:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:57:20PM +0200, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> I installed FC4 today and configured mail using 'postfix',
> 'mutt' and 'fetchmail/procmail' just as under FC3.
>
> However procmail refuses to create '/var/mail/$LOGNAME'
> with this message from fetchmail:
>  fetchmail: reading message awol at mail.home.nl:82 of 87 (4988 octets) ....
>  procmail: Couldn't create "/var/mail/awo"

Yeah, the file will have to already exist -- /var/spool/mail isn't mode 777.
(This is the case with FC3 too.)

Personally, I avoid the issue by making this the last line in my
.procmailrc:

  :0
  inbox/

That way, all mail that isn't sent elsewhere is delivered into my
(Maildir-style) inbox in my ~/Mail directory.