FC3->FC4 upgrade hangs whilst installing kernel-smp package

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 14 19:17:28 UTC 2005

    Paul> Does the grub entry have "ramdisk_size=8192" on the "kernel"
    Paul> line?
    >>  I shouldn't think so - I just reused the entry for FC1->FC3
    >> upgrade.

    Paul> The Fedora Core install CD boots the kernel with that option
    Paul> (the initrd for the installer contains just about all the
    Paul> possible modules, which makes it significantly bigger than a
    Paul> regular initrd), so it could be worth adding that option. I
    Paul> doubt that that's what causing your problem though.

You were right to doubt it - it made no difference.

Disk space doesn't appear to be a problem.

There WAS a slightly older version of the 2.6.9 smp kernel installed
(two versions in all - no UP kernel), and the FC4 smp kernel had been
written to disk.

I physically deleted (I can't boot my FC3 kernel fully at the moment -
it hangs somewhere in the system tasks startup phase, so I could do
any rpm -e commands) the FC4 kernel and the redundant FC3 kernel from
disk.

This time the install proceeds, not attempting to install the kernel
at all - so I think what must have been happening was it was trying to
upgrade the kernel twice (is that likely)?
So I suspect I shall end up without a 2.6.11 kernel
installed. Hopefully I can boot from the 2.6.9 kernel, and then
extract the rpm file for the FC4 kernel from the iso (which disc is it
on?) and manually upgrade.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire