Plextor px-708a and k3b

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 15 10:06:52 UTC 2005

Eric Tanguy wrote:
> Le mercredi 15 juin 2005 à 08:00 +0100, Paul Howarth a écrit :
>
>>On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 16:43 -0700, Mick Mearns wrote:
>>
>>>Hello;
>>>  When I fire up k3b and go to:
>>>settings->Configure k3b->Devices
>>>
>>>It says that the drive will not write DVD+R(RW)S
>>>That is not correct, it does and works under XP.
>>>I upgraded the BIOS to 1.10 with the same result.
>>
>>What does "cdrecord -prcap" say?
>>
>>That reports what the drive says it's capable of doing.
>>
>>Paul.
>>--
>>Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
>>
> I have the same problem.
> The result is
>  sudo cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrom1 -prcap
> Password:
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
> Schilling
> Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
> Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
> Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
> Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
> this version.
> scsidev: '/dev/cdrom1'
> devname: '/dev/cdrom1'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code
> version (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c
> 1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 0
> Response Format: 1
> Vendor_info    : 'PLEXTOR '
> Identifikation : 'DVDR   PX-708A  '
> Revision       : '1.09'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
>
> Drive capabilities, per MMC-3 page 2A:
>
>   Does read CD-R media
>   Does write CD-R media
>   Does read CD-RW media
>   Does write CD-RW media
>   Does read DVD-ROM media
>   Does read DVD-R media
>   Does write DVD-R media
>   Does not read DVD-RAM media
>   Does not write DVD-RAM media
>   Does support test writing
>
> So it seems that device is not weel recognized.
> Eric

I think it may be that cdrecord doesn't report DVD+R(W) capabilities at
all. Having just tried "cdrecord -prcap" on my own drive (which I
believe to be capable of writing DVD+R(W)), there again is no mention of
DVD+R(W). I've never actually tried writing that type of media.

Does growisofs work? It's part of the dvd+rw-tools package and it is
supposed to understand DVD+R(W) media properly (see also
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/ for lots of technical
discussion).

Paul.