Fedora in Amsterdam

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
Thu Jun 16 15:02:42 UTC 2005

On Thursday 16 June 2005 08:19, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 12:03 +0200, Vincent Arnoux wrote:
> > Oded Maimon wrote:
> > > What the use for thouse linuxs? servers/workstations?
> > >
> > > for workstations you probably should check ubntu or gentoo
> > > for servers, fedora, centos or debian are very good.
> > >
> > > Oded.
> >
> > You cannot suggest Gentoo to users without any computer experience.
>
> Gentoo is also poor for second hand computers, raw processor power is
> pretty important for a source based distro.

Sorry I am not located near Amsterdam however for what it's worth here's
my .02 cents:

I've been running Linux for about 4 years now. I am by no means a guru but I
have worked through a variety of issues over the years and I've tried most of
the distros out there at some point. For an easy to install and easy to learn
distro its hard to beat Fedora. I'm still running FC3 because I dislike the
pain of being too close to the bleeding edge, I suspect I'll move to FC4
later this year. My wife and my children run Fedora Core as well with no
major issues. My wife until about a year ago was a Windows user and she had
no trouble making the switch.

I've never run Ubuntu however from what I read (maybe I'm wrong here) it seems
that you only get Gnome with Ubuntu. For mac users the switch to Gnome is
fairly seamless but for frustrated Windows users I think a transition to KDE
would be much easier.

I would recommend Fedora,  recently I tried Yoper Linux (based on Fedora I
believe?) and its a nice newbie distro with a great interface and a single
disk install. The only drawback was that the install was less user friendly.
However the install instructons are quite clear and concise. Maybe this is
worth a look as well.

I would be happy to help in any way I can.. Contact me off list if you want to
discuss further.