[Fedora] FC4 'find' command is finding wrong hard link count

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Jun 16 22:52:33 UTC 2005

Tom Broadhurst wrote:

> Has anyone determined what this problem is yet?
> I don't want my system to blow up because of a /proc filesystem problem.
>
> [root at ...~]# find / -name dodo -print
> find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc: this may be a bug
> in your filesystem driver.Automatically turning on find's -noleaf
> option. Earlier results may have failed to include directories that
> should have been searched.
> /home/me/dodo
> [root at ...~]#

    This isn't a problem with find, nor a problem with /proc.  You
shouldn't run find against the /proc file system.  It changes with every
process that's running and with every single command you type in.  Hence
find complaining that something's wrong.  You'll notice that those files
in /proc have a 0-byte file size, yet when you cat them, they contain
data.  That's the kernel at work for you.  Don't run find against /proc.

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.