Network device name changed-fedora4..network in mess..

Saurabh Siddharth sid at winoble.com
Fri Jun 17 00:13:37 UTC 2005

Hi..
I installed fedora4 this tuesday on my dell latitude d600...i configured
for wireless( i have intell 2100) and it was up and running. but once i
rebooted my machine, it did not work. i opened the network
configuration(system-config-network) and under the hardware tab i saw
that the system had swapped my device names( it was now eth0 for
wireless and eth1 for ethernet) Other things remained same. Under the
devices tab it would still show eth0 as ethernet and eth1 as wireless.
so when i was trying to activate the wireless, i got an error message
saying check cable. to fix the problem i changed the names under
hardware tab. but it didnt get fixed. i played around a bit more with
these names, but no solution. now my network configuration is in a mess.
i can use neither ethernet nor wireless. can i reset things back to
default without having to reinstall fedora ( i have already done a lot
of customisation).. please tell me what additional information do i need
to provide to get help. i am new to linux so you will have to tell me
the exact command that i need to execute to get the information...plz help
thanks
sid