yum updated grub.conf badly

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Jun 17 17:32:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 11:00:04AM -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> Previously, this had been caused by
> trying to run an SMP kernel on a hyper-threaded cpu.
> For some evil reason, the SMP kernel was the default.
> Whoever made that decision should be shot.

Rather than resorting to violence, try changing "DEFAULTKERNEL" in
the file </etc/sysconfig/kernel>.

> Editing grub.conf fixed that problem.
> Until I ran yum.

Yum's just doing what it's told. Or rather, it's installing RPMs, and they
do what they're designed to do.

The smp decision was made originally by anaconda, which saw that you have a
system which (it thought) could benefit from using the SMP kernel.

> I suppose I implicitly asked for a kernel update when running yum,
> but even so, it shouldn't make the default something that doesn't work.
> That is evil.

It's beyond good and evil. How was yum or rpm or anything else supposed to
know it didn't work on your particular system?

> In any case, warning: yum can and will replace your grub.conf
> with one that doesn't work.

Sounds like the updated grub.conf actually worked *just fine*.